In 2011, I came to CMU completely unaware of the experiences that lay ahead of me. In 2017, I graduated from CMU with a degree, a family, and a new home. During my six years in Mt. Pleasant I grew up from a naïve 18-year-old to the 24-year-old woman I am today. When I was in college, I tended to focus on all the small, annoying things of Mt. Pleasant: the traffic on mission, the long lines for coffee, and having class on days of heavy snowfall in winter. I was so excited to rush out into “the real world” once they placed that diploma in my hand that I never stopped to think about the home I would be leaving behind.
The Top 5 Things I Miss About Mt. Pleasant
1. The campus and parks during the change of the season: I can see the change of the color of the leaves anywhere, but it’s not nearly as beautiful as walking through campus or heading down to the Chippewa River to watch red and orange colors spread across the trees.
2. Chicken noodle soup at Cranker’s: Sorry mom, your chicken noodle soup is good …but nothing can replace Cranker’s.
3. Coffee, Coffee, Coffee: There were many days I spent at college rotating through each of the local coffee shops, feeding my caffeine addiction and working my way through homework. I’ve had some great coffee since graduating but nothing compares to an eye opener at Kaya or a latte from Pleasant City Coffee.
4. The Bird: From the great food to the even better memories, The Bird holds a very special place in my heart.
5. And of course, TAILGATING!: Hands down, nothing compares to gearing up and heading out to Kelly/Shorts Stadium to cheer on my team alongside my fellow Chippewas.
In just a few days I will leave my office and pile in a car with some of my favorite, fellow chips and make the journey back to Mt. Pleasant. Stay tuned to see the recap blog of my adventures while I’m back in town for homecoming!
Jennifer Eskridge is a Lapeer, Michigan native. She graduated in May of 2017 with a Bachelors of Applied Art in Public Relations and Journalism. She is currently a Marketing and Events Assistant at Hour Media in Troy, Michigan. She loves Michigan fall weather and exploring new areas of Michigan, but Mt. Pleasant will always have a place in her heart and looks forward to every opportunity to visit.