Summer in Mt. Pleasant is coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean the fun should stop now! Do you want to fit in a few extra food dates, or find a nice way to cool off from the heat? If so, this is the perfect read for you!
1. Go tubing, kayaking, or canoeing down the Chip River: Chippewa River Outfitters is a great company to go through for a fun-filled day and they operate rain or shine. They offer canoe, kayak and tube rentals and will take you down to any of their launching sites and off you go. If you have your own equipment you can enter the Chip River on your own, as well. Buckley’s Mountainside Canoe is another great company located on the Chippewa River off West M-20 so you can start and end your trip at your own vehicle. They rent out Wenonah and Old Town Canoes, kayaks, and Jackson Kayaks.
2. Eat a banana split at Doozies Ice Cream Place: Doozies is a cheap place to fix that sweet tooth with the family on a hot summer evening. This is a classic in Mt. Pleasant and it is worth every penny. The service is incredible, the choices are wide ranged, and the taste can’t be beat! Doozies is located on E. Pickard Street across from Meijer.
3. Play a basketball game with your friends at Morey Courts: Morey Courts is located at the Isabella Community Sportsplex. There are eight full-size basketball/volleyball, two tennis, and three racquetball courts. Various programs are also available including sports training, leagues, tournaments, camps, clinics, and events.
4. Go rollerblading all through Mt. Pleasant: There is plenty of sidewalk throughout Central Michigan University and downtown to grab a friend or two…or three and roller blade the afternoon away. You could also hit up one of Mt. Pleasant’s parks.
5. Cool off from the heat at the Soaring Eagle Waterpark: From the lazy room, hot tub, whirlpool, dump bucket, two huge water slides, and the Flow Rider there is so much to do! Grab some friends and go splash for the weekend!
6. Eat breakfast at Stanley’s Famous Restaurant: Better known as Stan’s, this place is a Mt. Pleasant classic. You can’t go wrong with anything on the menu! They also offer delicious combo meals with fresh homemade butter every day.
7. Eat a steak dinner at Marty’s Bar: If you have $8.50 then you can afford to get a steak dinner downtown at Marty’s Bar. The atmosphere is always fun and welcoming. The food and drinks will never let you down!
8. Go fishing at the Chippewa River: Cast off one of the many brides at the Chippewa River. The river is low speed and fun for all ages. There are multiple sandy areas to choose from, as well. Don’t forget a swimsuit if you want to cool off!
9. Explore at Mt. Pleasant Discovery Museum: This is perfect if you have children or younger siblings and want something to do that is unique! Their mission is to spark creativity, nourish learning, and inspire curiosity of children through self-directed discovery in an engaging, hands-on environment.
10. Open skate at Mt. Pleasant Ice Arena: Come out to open skate on a professional sized ice rink. There are skates for rent and snacks for purchase. Whether you are a seasoned skater or have never ice skated, it is perfect for everyone.
Chloe Kosinski is originally from Imlay City, Michigan. She is a senior at Central Michigan University, studying integrative public relations and event management. Currently, Chloe is an intern at both the Mt. Pleasant Chamber of Commerce and Mt. Pleasant Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. She loves summer time in mid-Michigan and exploring all the unique places Mt. Pleasant has to offer with her family and friends!